New Jersey Science Olympiad
Registration for 2018 is CLOSED
NJ Science Olympiad Registration Procedures
Adopted September 13, 2017
To increase the efficiency of the registration process and ensure maximum fairness to all participating teams given the limitations of our tournament capacity, the Steering Committee of the NJ Science Olympiad (“NJSO”) has adopted the following registrations procedures for the 2017-2018 tournament season. Please CAREFULLY read the procedures below, which supersede all past registration procedures. If you have any questions, please e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The registration period for the 2017-2018 NJSO season will open on Monday September 18, 2017 at 12:00 PM EDT and will close on Friday November 17, 2017 at 6:00 PM EDT. Registration requests outside of this window will not be accepted for any reason.
- The registration process has two steps: (1) online registration, and (2) guarantee of payment. Teams which fail to complete BOTH steps of the registration process, as outlined below, prior to the November 17, 2017 will not be registered for the season and will be ineligible to compete in any NJSO tournaments during the 2017-2018 academic year. There will be no exceptions to this policy.
- Step 1: Online Registration:
- To register, each head coach must go the NJSO website and follow the links to the online registration form. The registration form will require the coach to acknowledge having read and understood these registration procedures as a prerequisite for submitting the registration.
- Registration submissions using the online form are time-stamped by the software program.
- The online registration form will require coaches to select their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice preferences for regional tournaments.
- If there are any problems with your registration information, NJSO will contact the head coach via e-mail to clarify any required information.
- Within a few days of completion of the online registration, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to the head coach to confirm registration along with an invoice for the registration fee.
Registration is not completed until guarantee of payment is received as indicated below
- Step 2: Guarantee of Payment
- Once the online registration form has been submitted, it is the responsibility of the team’s head coach to ensure that payment or guarantee of payment is received by NJSO by the November 17, 2017 deadline. All payments or guarantees of payment must be mailed to:
New Jersey Science Olympiad
PO Box 5387
North Branch, NJ 08876-1304
Coaches should check with their district/school offices to ensure that guarantee of payment is not sent to an old NJSO address. NJSO will not be responsible for payments mailed to incorrect addresses. All old addresses are no longer in service.
All payments must be made payable to New Jersey Science Olympiad
- NJSO accepts the following as guarantee of payment: Check, money order, or purchase order from a school. A returned check will result in a removal from the registration system for this year and a fee of $35.00 per team that must be paid by May 1, 2018 if the team wishes to register for NJSO in a subsequent season.
- The 2017-2018 registration fee is $225.00 for a school’s first team in each division, and $200.00 for a school’s second team in each division (for more information on second team registrations see Rule 13 below).
- Science Olympiad no longer provides printed rule books. You may download the rules for free from National Science Olympiad at https://store.soinc.org/
- It is the head coach’s responsibility to determine what is needed by the school/district office to ensure payment or guarantee of payment is received by the November 17, 2017 deadline. No team will be excused from the deadline to guarantee of payment because of delays in the processing by school/district offices.
- Some school districts and accounting offices required a NJ Business Registration Certificate and/or a W-9 form filled out by NJSO. NJSO is providing both of those forms here:
* NJ Business Registration Certificate
* W-9 Form
It is the head coach's responsibility to determine whether their school requires such documentation and to ensure that the district accounting office receives these documents in a timely manner. Requests to NJSO for this documentation will be forwarded this link, so coaches should download these documents as a time saving precaution.
- NJSO will send weekly e-mail reminders to all head coaches of teams for which guarantee of payment has not been received. E-mail reminders will start on Monday October 23, 2017.
- Refunds will not be issued for any reason not specifically specified in these procedures.
- Any team that registers online but fails to submit guarantee of payment as indicated herein will be dropped from the registration system and will be ineligible to participate in any NJSO tournaments for the 2017-2018 year.
- Placements at regional tournaments will not be confirmed for any team until after the close of the November 17, 2017 registration window. Thus, coaches should be preparing their teams for competition at all regional tournaments.
- Registration status of all teams will be posted to this web site so you may monitor the status of your registration.
- Capacity is capped at 40 teams per regional tournament and no more than 23 teams in a single division at any regional for a total of 120 teams statewide. The first 120 schools completing online registration and guarantee of payment by November 17, 2017 are guaranteed a placement at a regional tournament.
- If more than 120 schools complete online registration and guarantee of payment, placement will be completed by order of submission of the online registration. Teams that are not able to be placed due to lack of capacity will be issued refunds of their full registration fee.
- Placements at regional tournaments will be made based upon earliest time-stamp for the online registration submission among teams who complete online registration and guarantee of payment prior to Friday November 17, 2017.
- (NEW) Teams which have not competed in New Jersey Science Olympiad for the past three seasons will receive preference for regional tournament placement over returning teams.
- (NEW) Teams which paid registration for the prior year, and have never competed in NJSO, but who needed to withdraw from regional competition the previous year will be credited the portion of their registration fee that is paid to NJSO, if the team registers in the subsequent year. This courtesy will only be provided once for any given school. The portion of the fee which is paid to National Science Olympiad cannot be credited.
- Regional placements for all teams will be released on the same date via this website. There will be no appeal process for regional tournament placement and registration fees will NOT be refunded due to regional tournament placement.
- Registration of Second Teams:
- Schools wishing to register two teams in a regional tournament will elect that option when completing the registration form. It is no longer necessary to fill out the registration form twice.
- Second teams will be placed as capacity allows based on submission date of online registration, alternating between divisions.
- Capacity is capped at 40 teams per regional tournament for a total of 120 teams statewide. Based, on historical registration trends, there will not be capacity for the vast majority of schools wishing to register two teams.
- (NEW) For schools who are granted a second team, the $200 second team fee will be invoiced separately. Payment or Guarantee of payment for second team fees will be due on February 2, 2018
- Schools electing to register two teams must enroll a minimum of 24 students between their two teams.
- All rules regarding composition of the second team must be followed as per the NJSO website.
- Placements of second teams will be at the same regional tournament as the first team.
Note: For Elementary Tournament Registration, please visit the Elementary Tournament Pages
Please visit our website (www.njscienceolympiad.org)
for more information.